Feb 19, 2012

Poker Card Purchases: Don’t Do It!

Share:

There are under 10 hours left of Mafia Poker  and this is the time in which Zynga hopes to cash in. There are no more resets to collect Poker Cards from the news feeds and if you are thinking about buying them from the Marketplace, analyze your situation first. It should also be pointed out that the news feed requests didn’t start working properly until a few days after the event was released. Zynga should grant us an extension for these issues (1).

mp7

From the image above, you can see I have a total of 216 wins. I have a Emerald and a Ruby Level Single Malt in my inventory.

mp2

In order to get improve my Ruby Level Single Malt to Emerald, I need 24 more wins. It takes 5 Poker Cards to play each hand and I have a 50% chance of winning each hand. If my win/loss ratio is 1/1 then I would need a total of 240 more Poker Cards (10 per win needed). I will be can ask for Poker Cards 3 more times before the timer runs out and will gain 6 more. Assuming Zynga doesn’t rig the odds,  I need a total of 180 Poker Cards to reach the next level of mastery. The only way to get more cards would be to purchase them from the Marketplace. Breaking up the purchase to do it the cheapest way possible would cost 130 reward points.

mp3

Zynga really made a mistake when they nerfed the Mafia Poker rewards (1). I would be overpaying to improve an existing loot item and not to gain a new loot item. Comparing the stats of the Ruby and Emerald loot item, my purchase (if it was to be made) would only improve my equipment attack score by +10!

mp2

To demonstrate what a waste of reward points this would be, I looked up my worse items stats. The Ruby Level Single Malt improves my score by +43 and the Emerald by +53.

mp4

I could purchase a whole new item and not just an improvement of an item for 35 reward points in the Marketplace. A similar attack vehicle would be the Green Growler. This would improve my equipment stats by +53 instead of +10 and would be 95 reward points cheaper. It’s still better to spend reward points to gain skill points because they last forever. Loot is just a temporary thing. The lesson here is not to spend any reward points on Poker Cars and just be happy with what you have.

mp5

9 comments:

  1. another damn ripoff, I've had it. just started a mission where you have to buy 50 times from your warehouse! so, almost 2 months or I can have them for 441 rp's. zyngass, screw you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Warehouse renews every 8 hours. In a perfect world, that's less than 17 days to buy 50 Warehouse items without RP....

      That pretty much sucks, too, I admit. Almost as mindless as jumping hoops for 12 days of poker for one loot item...

      Delete
    2. Check again Grumpus. You can only purchase1 item from your Warehouse every 23 hours. In a perfect world, that's about a 48 day wait. I'm waiting it out as I can't justify spending the rps to speed it up as you get nothing for it. If it were a NY item, at least I could speed build and get skills.

      Delete
  2. I completed the emerald tier of the poker without buying a single card (thanks to reading a previous post on this blog) but after checking my inventory, i only have the grand prize. None of the other previous tier prizes are in my inventory. I have a screenshot if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't bother doing the mission that required me to collect 50 times from my warehouse. I contacted customer support, told them it was a really really lame idea and asked them to complete that part of the mission for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always... an EXCELLENT breakdown based solely on the FACTS

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  5. guys i dont understand why you love to discourage people from buying rps keep in mind zynga is a business they have to earn to sustain their operation when no one buys anymore the game will die and all of us will be affected lol let them buy i think theyre old enough to know what theyre buying considering that they have a credit card lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Jen should say it is a really good idea to spend 140 RP to finish an Emerald Tier of poker? anyone can go spend all the RP they want and sure I hope lots of folks do, but there is no way to sell this poker thing as a good use of RP.

    I simply did not worry about this event and made it to silver by just asking for cards so folks serious about it could get theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many have YOU bought lately?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will not be published until they are reviewed. Please don't use bad language or insult others. For faster feedback on questions, visit our fan page.