Jun 12, 2011

How To Remove Yourself From a Family

Share:

Many players are finding that they inadvertently joined a Family and are having trouble figuring out how to leave. This is happening because Family invites are handled in the same manner as gift requests. If you click on them from your Facebook Request Page or Zynga Message Center, you will become a member of the first request you accepted. Zynga should consider making these requests more like Mafia Invites.
If you find you became a member of a Family that you don't want to be a part of, it's easy to undo the damage. In the example below, I sent a request to join the Mafia Wars Loot Lady Family to my energy account.
If you join a Family you don't want to be in, go to your Family Page by clicking on the My Mafia Tab and then click on "Families". Scroll through the list of members to locate yourself.
You will see a red X to the left of your profile image.
Click on the red X and you will get a verification window of your attempt to leave.
Click "Yes" to remove yourself from the Family. It's that easy.
You can only be in one Family at a time so requests accepted once you are in a Family won't work. If you accept them, you will just get a error code that says "Joiner is already in a family!".
To prevent joining Families you don't want to be in, set JGrabAllGifts to ignore these requests. Once you launch the script, select "[options]".
Check the "Skip gifts that contain:" box.
Type in the work "Invited" into the box. This will work for any request you don't want to accept. All you need to do is type in one of the words from the request. It's best to be as selective as possible. If you type the work "Mystery", all Mystery Bags, Mystery Animals and Mystery Shipments will be ignored.

Article written by Jennifer Patterson, Creator of the MW Loot Lady Blog, The Mafia Wars Loot Lady Facebook Fan Page and Co-Host of The Informant Podcast.
All material is protected by copyright law

29 comments:

  1. there's also an option to change your name while you're in a clan/family without using RP...please take that option out since it STINKS. i already see a few people with ENTER NAME HERE id's..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you identify those requests we get that are in another language? 15-20% of my requests are like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have been trying to find this FOREVER! Well, ever since I got sucked into a family I didn't want to join. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many many thanks for your post. Clearly I'm one of those people too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Accepting the invitation should take a person to a page ABOUT the family in question anyway! I've been invited to a number of families, and while every family has an info page (yes I've seen the list in another blog post here with all the current families and links to their pages) Zynga should have taken us to that page to see what the family is about before we take on the new family tag. This is one place where an extra click would save a lot of trouble and this time it would serve a purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wise and knowing mwlootlady ........how do i change my name back from "enter a new name here"?I was able to leave the family I accidentally joined but I am now stuck with thie silly name.........do I need to wait till tomorrow, join a new family, add my original name, then quit that family too? is there another way besides spending RP's? I am convinced its a zynga conspiracy to get us to spend RP's for accidental name changes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. many thanks for this description - i love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. says I'm already in a family, but I'm not in list of a family so I can click the X to leave. I have another family I want to join, but can't accept. Everytime I click to join the family, says I'm already in a family....but the family and my name in the family's list doesn't show. What now??? sheesh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this. I haven't played MW for ages and use an auto accepter for gifts as a favour to those who do send me requests (they receive the thank you gift). I hadn't realised I could be tagged with a clan name...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have an X by my name!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank god i found this!!! Thanks very much :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. same as Anonymous..no red X or My Family tab..want to join a family-says I am already in one..what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  13. No X is appearing/showing next to mine either. I'm new to Mafia Wars and just started clicking requests for help and didn't realize that I accepted an invite to join a family that I don't want to be in. Any other ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  14. no X by me name...accidently joined this family.. they dont look after their own...

    ReplyDelete
  15. no X...any other ideas

    ReplyDelete
  16. sorry...didnt see the comment will be visible after approval...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Same as above...no x by my name and not showing in family roster. I contacted the Godfather of the family and he said, I was not showing in his roster as well. Help please! I'm stuck with this tag that I inadvertently accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Go to ROSTER and scroll to your name then you will see the RED CROSS.... campbell torqs (FB)...

    ReplyDelete
  19. for those who dont see a red x, go to your profile,u can see the "change title" button....just scroll and select any new title such as robber, soldier, master bulglar etc....now go to the family roster, u can see the red x now.
    click it, leave da fam nd njoy

    ReplyDelete
  20. roster is not working as well after following the instruction...plz help

    ReplyDelete
  21. i click roster but no red mark even after changed of profile also..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if family was created by you which mine was you can not remove your self unless you dis band it all together

      Delete
  22. Thanks so much for your assistance with this-Don Weeks

    ReplyDelete
  23. for some reason x is not there for me to remove myself unless i was one who created the family in first place do not remember

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ditto about the red X. No sign of it anywhere and I've followed several suggestions in order to do this, so why is it so difficult? Surely a simple option either on the main screen or an option from an existing subject in the drop-down list of options would be simple rather than having to go into sub-sub menu's only to find that what should be there in reality isn't there thus like all other contributors who want to leave are stuck in limbo! Is this a classic example of making a simple function simple. and if so, maybe this can be incorporated when the site is next updated in order to make this function simpler and easier? What do other users think?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dosent have the red x!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahoy!

    No! There's nothing there that you can click or anything else, hence the question. I've researched this a lot and have found the same answers on numerous sites, and having done that and followed the advice, there's nothing there, so I did what I would consider the last course of action by asking the question in the hope that there might be a another solution to this problem

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm trying to change family but my image has no red X as stated here or on other forums, so I'm at a total loss how this can be done. Is there an alternative method?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will not be published until they are reviewed. Please don't use bad language or insult others. For faster feedback on questions, visit our fan page.