Oct 30, 2010

New Player Updates

Share:

I noticed today that the Player Updates have been revised.  This surprised me because we have a perfectly good Live Updates section on top of our game header.  I always assumed they would get rid of the Player Updates all together.
(click images to enlarge)
I reviewed the Beta Live Updates in detail (1).  Now it's time to check out the new Player Updates.  There are 3 sections. Top News, Recent News, and Combat.  The first thing I noticed is that everything listed in the new Player Updates is also in the Live Updates.  This is surely an information overload!
Top News
The Top News section is full of help requests for things like sending parts, wars, and jobs.  I decided to go down the list and help my mafia out.
Since Sheba needed some serious help to turn her dreams of an awesome Weapons Depot into a reality, I decided to hook her up.  I clicked on "Supply Some Parts" and was greeted with a message that "Sheba has received all the help allowed for today, but you can still help out by sending her a part she needs".
Of coarse I wanted to make sure Sheba got what she needed so I clicked on "Send More Materials" and was directed to the Free Gift Page.  I wasn't sure what she needed so I decided to send a new Mystery Shipment.
I was directed to my most active mafia members page and Sheba was no where to be found. If she made my Top News list, you would think she would be one of my active mafia members.
This wasn't a big deal because I could invest one more click and use the "My Mafia" button. Now I had to do some serious scrolling to find her.  S is a long ways down but I managed to find Sheba and was happy to be able to send her a gift.  What happened next was rather annoying. Yes, I had used all of my Facebook requests for the day and Sheba didn't get anything from me.
After the gifting fail, I decided to help my Top News friends in with their wars.  All 3 of wars in my top news were already over.
The last thing I saw was somebody needed help with a job. I'm good a helping with jobs so I went for it.  Nope, I was too late.  At least I got $1,000 and the satisfaction that Da Big Dog Coach already got the help that he needed.
Recent News
I would hardly call this stuff news.  We all need to take down the Bosses and most of us brag about it in the news feeds.  Reading about my mafia members winning a Boss Fight doesn't do much to help anybodies game.
Combat
This section sounds cool but it's just a list of who you fought as a capo for, who attacked you, and who declared war.  If I got anything decent for fighting as a Capo, I would be more interested.  I already learned my lesson about what happens when you try to help someone in a war.  Sure I like to see how attacked me but this bit of informations get diluted by the rest. The Beta Updates are much better because I can break it down and see everybody that attacked me.  After all, that's what we really care about.

Article written by Jennifer Patterson,
Creator of the MW Loot Lady Blog, The Mafia Wars Loot Lady Facebook Fan Page and Co-Host of The Informant Podcast.


All material is protected by copyright law

2 comments:

  1. I already learned my lesson about what happens when you try to help someone in a war. please advise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of scrolling down your mafia, looking for Sheeba, why not click in the upper white line and just type in her name where it says: Start typing a name ?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will not be published until they are reviewed. Please don't use bad language or insult others. For faster feedback on questions, visit our fan page.