Aug 4, 2010

Mafia Wars Statistics: The Past 30 days

Share:

It's time to review the Mafia Wars Monthly Application Statistics.  All the original graphs and data points used in this article are from All Facebook.  I last reviewed these statistics on June 29, 2010 and the results can be found in my article titled Mafia Wars Statistics.  Things were kind of boring then and only showed a steady decline of number of daily, weekly and monthly players.  This decline is still evidenced in the following graphs but what happened towards the end of the month has skewed the data and caused it to represent a growth in the Mafia Wars Application.  The implementation of Las Vegas Beta, Las Vegas, and the Mafia Wars is Blowin' Up promotion have attracted many players back to Mafia Wars.  Everything in this article is just my hypothesis and is based on the general points of data supplied by All Facebook.  I don't know the manner in which this data was collected and I haven't factored in any independent random variables.  My observations are just generalizations as to what this pool of data is telling us.
(click on images to enlarge)

This Month VS Last Month
Daily Players
Weekly Players
Monthly Players
Since last month, I've learned how to edit photos.  I get carried away sometimes but I think I can have some fun with these numbers.  Here are what I believe to be the 3 events which have skewed the data when comparing it to previous months.  The dates don't 100% correspond to the data points on this graph but most likely this is due to time difference around the world. 
I chose to use the monthly player data for further analysis because I think it better represents the entire pool of Mafia Wars players.  Those of us who are addicted are going to play everyday no matter if we like something or not.  
The Baseline
The Growth Spike
The Drop
The Promo
It will be interesting to watch these numbers in the coming weeks.  I think it's hilarious that the day after a significant drop in the number of players was detected, a ridiculous promotion was implemented.  Watching a Armored Truck get blown up on a live video stream doesn't sound very exciting to me.  Why not a stamina refill or something other than a long shot to win $25,000?  I believe this demonstrates the mentality level that Zynga would like us all to be on.  Those of us who are still addicted to the game will pick up the slack of our weekly and monthly counterparts and Zynga will reach their goal of 10 million players visiting Las Vegas.
I apologize if I have offended any smart players who get off on watching things explode.  The video below is for you.  Zynga will probably do the same thing.  Since they don't even like to design their own graphics, I can't imagine them "blowin' up" their own truck.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Zynga chose this time frame to crack down on accounts which appear to violate the integrity of the game.  I'm sure these actions have caused many players to leave the game and their exit will be masked by the influx of players checking out Las Vegas.


2 comments:

  1. it also seems like the offer is only open to the u.s. yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article Lootlady!

    ~Scott~
    [M☨G] ʐ♠ɱbṓɳỉ

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will not be published until they are reviewed. Please don't use bad language or insult others. For faster feedback on questions, visit our fan page.