Jun 19, 2010

Promote Bookmarklet and Locating Your Promote Link

Share:

Have you ever wished you could promote someone to your Top Mafia from their Facebook profile?  It's really a pain to find a specific person from your My Mafia Screen.  As your mafia increases so does the difficulty of this task.  I've spent a lot of time going through page after page of my mafia members and never accomplishing anything.  I can never find the person I'm looking for.  I was really happy when I discovered the Promote Bookmarklet and realized I could laugh at scrolling through all the unorganized mafia pages.  
The Promote Bookmarklet has been around for a while.  It used to be available on the Dirty Martini Tools page.  The ownership of this page has changed and it is now called Blofeld's Dirty Martini Tools.  The bookmarklet is no longer updated but the last version can be found on the Spockholm Mafia Tools Website.  To start promoting your favorite mafia members to your Top Mafia positions today, follow the intstructions below:

1.  Go the The Spockholm Mafia Tool Website External Page and scroll down to the bottom to locate the Promote Bookmarklet.
2.  Click, drag, and drop the Promote into your bookmark toolbar.  Click HERE for instructions on bookmark installation.  If you encounter any problems with your screen, click HERE.


3.  Go to The Facebook Profile of the person you would like to promote.
4.  Click once on Promote now located in your bookmark toolbar.  You will now be on your friends MW profile page.
5.  Click promote once again to unframe the MW profile page.  Refer to the articles linked in step 2 if you are not sure what unframed means.
6.  Click on promote a third time and the MW Promote screen for your friend will magically appear.
7.  Click on Promote to move them into the position you desire.

Pretty cool stuff.  It gets even better because now you find their own unique promote link.  I'm sure you have seen many players that have a "Promote Me" link in their Facebook profile page information box.  I wanted one too.  The first time I saw this, I thought my member was the smartest person in the world.  Now I know it's very easy to do.  Here are a few examples.  One comes from one of my mafia members and the other one is mine.


To get these links, have your friend (or use a different account) go to your MW Promote page.  The link located in the browser bar is your unique promote link.  Copy and paste this link somewhere to save it.  It won't change.  If you don't like a messy information box or don't have enough room for the long link, you can go to a URL shortening website and make it shorter.  If you aren't sure how to do this, click HERE for instructions.  Now my promote link is 26 characters instead of 162 and will fit in my information box.

When Facebook/Zynga were causing us to have link problems, the promote links didn't work.  If this happens again, there is a way around it.  Thanks goes to Studog "The Bagman" Vande for figuring out what Zynga uses for the promote link and Rod Aday for taking the time to explain this to me.  This will only need to be done when the promote links are not working.

"When Zynga and Facebook were having their tense negotiations, Zynga created player IDs for everyone, in case they needed to leave Facebook. The new promote link uses this player ID (pid) and not your FB ID. The promote link is:
http://apps.facebook.com/inthemafia/track.php?next_controller=group&next_action=view&next_params{"promote":"yes","pid":"p|XXXXXXXX"}

The X's is where your MW pid needs to go. However since FB also recently made changes and links aren't posting correctly, I took the link above and created a short url for it at alturl.com.
You just put your MW pid in for the X's, copy the link and then go to alturl.com and paste it to the create box and click create to create the new short url for it"./Rod Aday

I had difficulties locating my MW pid #.  Rod was nice enough to send me additional instructions and I was able to do it by following these steps:
1.  Go to the Mafia Wars profile you wish to locate the pid # for.
2.  Point your mouse over the "Add to Hitlist" option and right click.
3.  Click "Copy Link Location"
4.  Move to somewhere you can paste this like an inbox message.  Right click and select paste.  The link will appear and you will be able to locate your pid #.  My MW pid # is 72056079.

6 comments:

  1. The Link is not working for me .. need help pls ... I substituted XXXXXXXX with my MW pid... its not working .. jus goes to the MY MAFIA page ...

    this is wat i tried with ...

    http://apps.facebook.com/inthemafia/track.php?next_controller=group&next_action=view&next_params{"promote":"yes","pid":"p|43442602"}

    Pls help me... want to have the PROMOTE ME link on my wall ....thank u ...

    regards

    Ddevil

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should only have to use the PID# when the links are broken due to Facebook/Zynga issues. The best way to get the promote me link is to run the BM from a different account on your own profile. When you get to the promote page, copy the link that is your browser bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, the link you used will not work. You have to convert it into a tiny url.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should probably be "next_params={", not "next_params{":

    http://apps.facebook.com/inthemafia/track.php?next_controller=group&next_action=view&next_params={"promote":"yes","pid":"p|XXXXXXXX"}

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant seem to make this work for me either.

    I've tried all of these..
    http://apps.facebook.com/inthemafia/index.php?next_params=YTozOntpOjA7czo1OiJpbmRleCI7aToxO3M6MTc6InRvb2xiYXJsb290cmV3YXJkIjtpOjI7czo2NToiJmdpZnRfa2V5PTM2ZmY1MjkwYzIwNTZkOGY4ZTdhNDc1ZjI1MWE5NmVlJmluc3RhbGxfc291cmNlPXRvb2xiYXIiO30%3D

    and

    http://apps.facebook.com/inthemafia/profile.php?id=%7B%22user%22%3A%22cHwzNDI1NjAzMg%3D%3D%22%7D

    and

    b3fab7894af26315602b0a8c6425357636919e23aec2dca3abd64b5b0e289a58


    Can you help????

    ReplyDelete
  6. still having problems with your promote-link? you may send me a message and I'll do it for you. all I need is your facebook profile or your mafia wars profile. bit.ly/eqcKSN

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will not be published until they are reviewed. Please don't use bad language or insult others. For faster feedback on questions, visit our fan page.